BY: Teisha Lowry Cox

Out of everything that I harp on about, beauty is probably my favourite subject. While it's my job to keep up with beauty trends in the media, new products, and research I can always rely on the good old fashion natural stuff, and I get so excited about talking and writing about it, I have written a book!

It's been three years in the making and I've finally got the balls to put it together. I'm doing everything myself, it's taking a long time, but I have an end date - it'll be ready next month for my first event with Nourish Melbourne. The guts of it is about discovering "TRUE" skin health, and when I say health - I dish out some awesome advice on beauty, the industry, ingredients, skin types, aromatherapy, real essential oils (not oils that are just full of crap) and some DIY recipes using your fav kitchen ingredient, ohhhh the hidden gems I have in store...stay tuned. In the meantime, there's always a why - and this is so important to me for you to know or remind you...

The average woman uses up to 12 personal care products per day, and we’re inundating ourselves with perfumes and deodorants every few hours sometimes. The skin is the largest organ and its job is to protect our internal organs, it is porous and while the skin provides our bodies with a barrier, it is also absorbent, and therefore it’s important to feed your skin with the right nutrients that are really pure, just like food. Would you digest substances such as Lead, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Aluminium or even your perfume spray? If you apply these to the skin they can penetrate into the underlying tissue and eventually reach the blood stream - which most conventional/gimmicky products do and they can cause an adverse reaction or even do the opposite to what it says on bottle. The fact that these toxins can be absorbed through the skin, I think is a good reason to avoid these kind of products.

The condition of your skin is a powerful reflection of just how healthy you are on the inside.

With ‘loyal’ organic brands you will find their ingredients are considerably lower, and being organic means it should come from the ground without using any pesticides or herbicides to grow it, and the quality should be unrefined and premium. That being said, unlike the food industry, the personal care industry hasn’t many legal standards for organic and natural companies, so this means they can use marketing buzz words such as ‘feel the organic difference’ or ‘100% organic’. Top selling organic/natural brands can get away with it too, because they use organic/natural certifying bodies that only want at least 40% of the ingredients to be certified organic/natural, so that leaves the other 60% to be whatever they like; such as parabens and dioxane, which are known and tested carcinogens. A lot of brands misuse their certified legacy, only getting one or two products in their range to be certified, then they whack that logo all over their packaging and marketing, when in fact the rest of the range ain’t much of an organic brand. So, it pays to read your labels and do your research into beauty brands.

A good rule I go by is: don't use anything that you can’t eat. Expensive creams are not necessary and may do more harm than good. Instead, I use my Active Recovery Oil. Along with a good exfoliant mix of Himalayan salts and coconut oil a few times per week. I give myself mini facials to relax the facial muscles (which give us those expression lines) and some serious meditation every day, you’ll be surprised how young looking and stress-free your skin will look. If you're unsure about an ingredient, a great way to do your research is to just google it or you can visit the ewg.org for more information about what reaction and ingredients do to your skin/insides.

Follow INDAH with Bloglovin