BY: RENEE SEXTON
The last few months have been all about natural beauty. I’ve been talking about it a lot with my clients, and I’ve been hosting Natural Beauty Talks, and I’ve also been testing many different products that all aim and claim to give you the best and most beautiful skin.
But for me, its all comes down one thing…your diet. If you’re eating poorly and not getting loads of fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet, your skin will suffer. It doesn’t matter how many face masks your slather on or how many vitamins you pop - your skin will suffer.
It doesn’t have to be a total all at once diet change, (don’t worry I’m not that mean), I do suggest that you have a read below of my five rules for beautiful skin and start slowly implementing them into your life. I have chosen these five points specifically as they have the best impact on your skin and will hopefully help you to see real results quickly.
At the end of the day it comes down to this; start limiting the processed foods in your diet, cut down the sugar, alcohol, dairy and gluten and start replacing it with a plant-based wholefood diet. Think colour, freshness, lots of fruits, vegetables, and well…Whole-Foods (obviously!!)
So here we go, my top five rules for beautiful skin.
My Top Five Rules for Beautiful Skin:
1. A Healthy Gut = Healthy Skin: When your gut is healthy it ensures you can absorb all the nutrition from your food, it keeps your immune system strong, and it also keeps your skin looking beautiful. Try adding fermented foods into your daily diet for a massive dose of healthy probiotics. I love having a big glass of kombucha every few days, topping most of my meals with a tsp of sauerkraut (which tastes superb) and adding miso (the good organic kind) to my soups and stews.
2. Cut the dairy: Dairy is very inflammatory for the body, it's hard for the body to break down and it’s also very acidic. Now that doesn’t sound very beautiful, does it? When a client comes to me with skin issues the first thing I do is remove dairy from their diet, and guess what? 9/10 times their skin improves. If you would like to make the switch to a dairy free life try switching to almond milk instead of cow’s milk, cashew cheese instead of cheese and coconut yoghurt instead of yoghurt.
3. Eat Healthy Fats with Every Meal: Fats are amazing for the skin; they keep it supple and beautiful, they help you to absorb fat-soluble vitamins and minerals from your food, and they taste great! I love to sprinkle seeds on top of my porridge for breakfast, add coconut oil to my green smoothie, smash avocado and munch on it with vegetable sticks as a snack and of course drizzle olive oil onto my salad at dinner.
4. Drink Water: Make sure to start your morning every day with a big lemon water. This wakes up your body, helps to detox your system naturally and it’s also very hydrating after a big sleep. Dehydrated skin is not beautiful or radiant so start increasing the amount of water that you drink every day. Ideally, you should be having around 8-10 glasses a day and even more if you’re a coffee drinker. I love adding slices of lemon, cucumber, turmeric, ginger and even herbs to my glass of water to mix it up and encourage me to drink more.
5. Eat 2 Serves of Greens a day: I know that sounds like a lot, but it’s quite easy. If you already have a green smoothie during the day, then it’s just about adding in a big handful of spinach or chopping up some kale to add to your dinner and your all set. Leafy greens are full of calcium, iron, magnesium, B vitamins and all those nutrients which keep us feeling and looking our best.
So there you have it, my top five beautiful skin guidelines. It really all comes down to eating a clean, whole-food plant based diet with lots of variety, colour and nutrition. If you eat this way and make sure to drink regularly your skin will thank you and in return it will shine.
A lot of the time we want a quick fix or a pill that will change our skin problems but at the end of the day if you’re eating a lot of processed food, meat, dairy, gluten and sugar your skin will never be it’s best. So start looking at your diet and make some changes. You’ll end up with more energy, better moods, a stable weight and of course great skin all while eating delicious food. I mean what more could you want.