MEET OUR FAVOURITE WELLNESS GIRL FROM NZ: RENEE SEXTON
BY: Teisha Lowry Cox
Renee inspires us because she has the ultimate healthy looks and the guts to prove she's not just a pretty face. We love scrolling through her Instagram feed...she's preaching and living the complete wellness lifestyle, and you can tell her smile isn't fake and she genuinely loves to help women look and feel their best through her nutrition and health coaching business.
We want you to get to know Renee a bit more, because we're pinching her...yup that's right she's all ours (haha cheeky laugh) renee is going to be part of the indah family soon and we're super excited!!! So here's why we love her so much and cheers (green smoothie with maca cheers) to living well with renee...
What are the first three things you do when you wake up?
- I always start my day with cuddles with my fur baby Bacio, mainly because he paw’s at our bedroom door until we let him in. Both adorable and frustrating at the same time (haha).
- I then like to go into the kitchen and make a big mug of lemon water. At the moment I am also adding a few slices of turmeric and ginger to ensuremy immune system is boosted for Winter.
- Next I like to make a large green smoothie full with leafy greens, some almond milk, chia seeds, maca powder (for energy) and some fruit. I will either drink it right away or have it ready for after my workout.
When or where are you your happiest?
I am definitely the happiest when I am at our family beach house in the Coromandle. Matt and I actually got married there a few months ago and we both call it our ‘happy place’. I love walking along the beach, connecting with nature and taking some time to rest, relax and restore.
What are your non-negotiables when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle?
- Exercising pretty much most days (I love Pilates, walking and I am hoping to get into hot yoga this year)
- Drinking at least 2 Liters of water each day
- Eating at least 2 serves of green vegetables each day
- Cooking my own food. I like to know what goes into my food and I also love how therapeutic cooking is for me.
- Getting at LEAST 7-8 hours of sleep each night
- Having time each day to rest and relax and also to do the things that I love and that make me happy. This is really important for me.
Best advice you’ve ever received?
Ohh this is a hard one. I would have to say “make sure to keep learning”. My Mum has always told me to keep on learning, no matter what it is, just keep learning and growing your knowledge base. I have always stuck to this and find myself continually signing up to new courses, buying new books, and finding new ways to develop my skills in the wonderful world of health and wellness.
What made you start working for yourself?
I guess when it comes to down to it, I have always wanted to be able to individualize my clients programs. Since I studied both Sport Science, Nutritional Sciences and Health Coaching I have always wanted to be able to pull them all together and create the best plan for each of my clients, to help them be their very best.
Since I also work from home I am able to take my clients into the kitchen and show them how to make certain foods so that they can easily gain the confidence and realize “hold on a second, that was so easy, I can do that”. That’s what I have always wanted to achieve.
I also have the flexibility of working from home, to be able to create my own hours and fit into my schedule the things that matter the most for me such as exercising, seeing my family, cooking meals etc. I am so happy that I can create the life I want to live and also help the people I want to help in the process.
What advice do you have for women who want to start in the wellbeing biz?
I would have to say, know what you are about and what makes you different. For example, I focus on plant-based wholefood nutrition and teach my clients how to add this type of diet into their life while also ensuring they are living a balanced life with the addition of regular exercise, stress management and relaxation techniques.
Once you know what you are about, then I think it’s important to live it and breathe it. My life is wellness focused and everyday I find new tips and tricks to make it easier and more fun and that’s what I love to share with everyone.
In this day and age, it’s so important to get on the social media bandwagon and start showing people what you are about. It’s a lot of fun and can be a great way to get your message out their and develop trust with your clients.